Monday, April 16, 2012

Chapter 2: Settling In

Finding an apartment was the next big feat. Since I was moving to a college town, my hope was that I would luck out with a decently cheap and/or moderately comfortable apartment. Unfortunately, with my position confirmed at the tail end of July, I had missed out on the majority of the reasonably priced accommodations. Between packing, finishing up at the Boys and Girls Club, and wrapping up the final weeks of my second semester of Remedial English 11, I hunted housing. With a little luck, I happened across two potential candidates. With appointments booked, I made my third trip of the month from Eau Claire to La Crosse.
The first place I looked at was nothing special. The efficiency boasted a rather reasonable price, but smelled a little stale and gave off a retro motel vibe. As if moving to a new city wasn't enough. I passed.
The second place looked much more likely. It was set off from the river and came equipped with a rather hunky swimmer. I would have made the place an option had the landlord and I not mixed signals. I never made it through the door. Calling it an ultimately failed trip, I made the hour and a half drive back to Eau Claire.
As time ticked by (far too quickly), I put the search into overdrive. By the first week of August I had an appointment to sign my contract. To make the trip worthwhile I scoped out and slotted two more showings.
The first place I looked at was lovely. The carpets were new, the patio was inviting, and the price was on the high end of reasonable. I liked it, but I wanted to keep my options open.
From the get-go, the second place raised concerns. After waiting an unnecessary amount of time for the landlord to appear, I was transported to the showing by way of golf cart across the lumpy, grassy lawn. As we drove, my host ensured me that the roofing racket would only last into the first few weeks of September. What a deal, right? But that wasn't even the worst of it. After being shown the laundry room and the chicken wire storage units, I was led into the apartment itself where I was greeted with a smell that could only have been the mix of animal urine, cleaning supplies and dank. I looked around, pretending to give the place a shot. In my head I was dialing the number for the first place, ready to sign the lease.
It took one more trip from Eau Claire to La Crosse to make the new place final. On that trip, I doubled up a two hour jam session with my coworkers in the Health Science Academy. That portion of my future position sent me white, but I buckled in, strapped on the big girl shoes (yes, they velcro) and revved up for my fast approaching reality.
As July wheedled to a close, I packed up the rest of my life and finalized the arrangements to make the big move. On August 15, with the help of my wonderful family, I shipped my life south west to a new city and a new life. My big adventure was beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment